Well, I haven’t done a Woo Hot Seat in a while (showcasing my insanely talented and creative friends) but it’s been worth the wait; have I got a treat for you.
I’m absolutely honoured and delighted to introduce you to Julia Hardy, the creative genius behind CrownJules. If you’re heading to the races, a wedding or a special event this year; then you definitely need to know about Julia.
She is your one-stop destination for gorgeous accessories. On hand to make you the most beautiful bespoke hats and fascinators (ruling out the fear that someone else might wear the same one as you) and a passionate Stella & Dot Stylist; she offers her wisdom on all the latest jewellery trends, and how to put the final touches to your outfit.
Find out more about this amazing woman and how to get your very own CrownJules head-(master)piece 🙂
How did you get into hat making – where did the dream begin?
I studied fashion design at uni and went into fashion PR – but as things would turn out, I stumbled out of the fashion world into the furniture one.
I didn’t loose my love of it; I went to Ascot one year and was disappointed with the hat options available to me within my budget – so the next year I made my own, and then I made 20 for a hen do. It really just took off from there, then the girls said I should start selling them, so I did.
Where do you seek your inspiration?
It’s a mixture of designer trends and also the outfit itself. A hat has to compliment an outfit, so it’s important to reflect on that when designing a hat – and the person too, what they like, and what their fashion style is. It’s also about a having a balance; ‘crazy’ isn’t always the most striking.
How do you source your designs and materials?
I generally don’t sketch before I make a piece. I’m very hands on, so I experiment with the raw material and I play around with it to see what works and whats doesn’t – the more you learn about how the materials react, the better the result.
What do you love about hat making?
I love the rewarding results; making someone feel special for a day.
Where can people buy yours hats?
Directly through my website; I want to be involved throughout the whole process of the sale – it’s more bespoke and personal that way. Customer satisfaction is key!
- Describe your style: Skinny jeans, casual top, heels or boots, big hair 🙂 and accessories.
- Who’s your style crush and why? Sarah Jessica Parker – she can pull off anything. I am not that kind of girl!
- Place to shop: I do love Zara.
- Best purchase: Black skinny jeggins from H&M – every lady needs them!
- Key staples for SS16? Neon. I LOVE NEON. I am like a magpie to it.
- Style tip: Don’t overkill your look. Keep it simple!
- Favourite thing in your handbag: My LuLu Guinness wallet.
- Best advice: Be happy within yourself and you’ll succeed.
- Hats and fascinators: Head (no pun intended, but I like it) to her website and follow CrownJules on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep updated on her latest designs and what she’s getting up to – and just to gaze adoringly at these seriously beautiful things.
- Jewellery: Host a Stella & Dot Trunk Show in the comfort of your own home (get the girls round – drinks, nibbles and jewellery galore – what’s not to love?)
- Any questions? Contact Julia: firstname.lastname@example.org
– and if you do purchase anything from our wonderfully talented Julia – you must let me know (and show me)! Send me your pics or tag me/us both on social media. I can’t wait to see more of her stunning creations…
Happy summer ladies. Oh, it’s going to be glamorous – and oh so fabulous 🙂